Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Revisiting Goleman's Six Leadership Styles

I am currently participating in the Australian Schools Leading Teachers Colloquium. It is a nine month online learning module which explores effective leadership. I was nominated by my school and awarded a scholarship to participate. This month we are revisiting the topic of Leadership and Authenticity and asking the question of "What are the typical characteristics of a good school leader"?

After reading through the discussion forum, it took me back to a time when I had to interview my school Principal and my immediate superior for an essay for my Masters of Education (Teacher Librarianship). The focus of the essay was working with School Leadership from the perspective of a Teacher Librarian. Since that essay, I have been practicing as a Teacher Librarian and I have also swung back the other way, taking on a role this year as STEAM Coordinator. Taking me back to where I started in education, working with Educational Technology.

Both of the leaders were "good school leaders" and displayed worthy values, but both worked in a different way to draw out the best from their teams.


Looking at Goleman's Six Leadership Styles, I can see that I am probably close to a "coaching" leader at the moment when I have my Teacher Librarian hat on, but at times I put on the "visionary" hat when I am pushing the STEAM aspect of my role.

References:

Campbell, S. (2017). 7 Character Traits Exceptional Leaders Have in Common. Entrepreneur. Retrieved 30 April 2018, from https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/302773

Goleman, D. (2017). Leadership That Gets Results (Harvard Business Review Classics). Harvard Business Press.

Patel, D. (2017). 11 Powerful Traits Of Successful Leaders. Forbes.com. Retrieved 30 April 2018, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/deeppatel/2017/03/22/11-powerful-traits-of-successful-leaders/#32fc12a0469f

No comments:

Post a Comment