It is hard to believe, but there are some schools out there that can't see the worth of a school library or employing teacher librarians. And then there are some colleagues in leadership positions in schools who would much rather see teacher librarians trained as baristas.
I am sure that this instagram post was only meant as a joke, but it emotes a much wider view by some educational leaders that teacher librarians are a waste of time ....
So how do you make yourself visible, and hopefully intern, valued?
- We can build social capital within our school.
- We can redefine what it means to be a Teacher Librarian.
- We can encourage and build on the reading culture within our school.
- We can shatter the idea that Teacher Librarians are all about books by focusing on service rather than product.
- We can show that we are continually improving (Kaizen) upon what it is we are doing by evaluating and reflecting on our role within the school.